A page title or document title describes a web page.
It’s the content that is placed inside the
<title> element and appears in the browser window or tab.
The title is important because:
- it’s the first thing to be announed in screen readers
- it distinguishes your website from other open websites
- it helps search engines to index your website
I recommend the following structure with hyphens inbetween:
- name of page (usually the
h1heading but not always)
- section name (if applicable)
- name of service
Here are some examples based on Amazon’s website.
|Your account||Your account - Amazon|
|Orders||Orders - Your account - Amazon|
|Books||Books - Amazon|
|Atomic Habits book||Atomic Habits, James Clear - Books - Amazon|
Sign up to my newsletter
Join over 5000 subscribers who receive my latest articles by email about design that nails the basics, avoids complexity and works for everyone.