Redesigning Just Eat

Just Eat, 2015

Overview

Just Eat is the world’s leading digital takeaway delivery service. They're based in 13 countries with over 60,000 restaurants and more than 15 million customers.

During Just Eat's rapid growth, they created a mobile-specific site which was inconsistent with the desktop site.

Our job was to improve order completition while creating a consistent and responsive site in-keeping with the impending brand refresh.

Process

We watched users order in our research lab as well as at their homes. And we ran bi-weekly A/B tests using Optimizely. We used the results to prioritise our work.

We usually started with paper sketches. Then moving to higher fidelity mockups in Sketch, Invision and HTML prototypes. We iterated until there were no major flaws in our work.

Checkout

The existing single page checkout flow used accordion panels for each step. The team believed that fewer clicks resulted in a better order completion rate.

Illustration of existing single page checkout with accordion panels.

But research showed that users got stuck and spent time scrolling up and down the page to open and close panels.

We also noticed that there were different ways to continue through each step—the delivery page had separate calls to action, but the other pages had just 1 call to action.

We redesigned the checkout so that each step was on a page of its own with just 1 call to action.

Illustration of new multi page checkout.

The checkout redesign increased conversion by 5%.

Read more in Better Form Design: One Thing Per Page, an article I wrote for Smashing Magazine.

Search results

The search results mobile page was inconsistent with its desktop equivalent. For example, mobile had no filters.

We also noticed the sort component used a select box without a submit button which is problematic. But we were also concerned about introducing an extra click that our users weren't used to.

Left: old search results page with sort menu in the top right without a submit button. Right: new search results page with consistent and accessible filter and sort options.

So we designed an accessible and responsive sort component that worked consistently on small and large screens.

On mobile, where space is limited, the sort and filter panels collapse to make way for the search results.

Left: filters collapsed. Right: filters expanded.

This redesign of the search results page increased conversion by 3%.

‘Adam's positive and pragmatic approach to solving problems shows through his strength of knowledge in building cross-browser, accessible and progressively enhanced interfaces used by millions.’

Mark Jenkins, Lead Designer